Iran's foreign minister is mocking Washington's latest sanctions blitz as "desperate" — and the decades-long track record says he has a point. Abbas Araghchi dismissed the Trump administration's new pressure campaign on Sunday, saying the shift from military operations to "the same old plans shows that they are desperate." Meanwhile, American businesses stay locked out of markets, the sanctions-enforcement industry keeps growing, and the U.S. inches toward another open-ended foreign commitment with no exit strategy and no cost accounting for the people paying the tab.

Last week, Trump announced what he called "the most crushing economic operation ever taken against any country," with Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent set to detail what he billed as "the toughest sanctions in history" at a Monday press conference. Bessent put governments and businesses worldwide on notice: "You're either with us or against us."

Iran isn't bowing. Araghchi posted on Telegram that Iran has "never been afraid" and that "all of their actions — whether blockades or other military moves they have made — have failed, and this new issue of theirs will fail as well." He urged Washington to find "a solution based on justice and honour."

Even Iran's president, Masoud Pezeshkian, acknowledged the domestic toll, admitting on state television: "I understand we have many problems in society right now." He cited "inflation, livelihood problems, unemployment" but framed Trump's campaign as "a full-scale economic, military and security war."

The economic damage inside Iran is real. According to Breitbart, citing maritime intelligence firm Kpler, Iranian crude loadings have cratered from roughly 2 million barrels per day before the conflict to about 287,000 barrels per day this month, with more than 40 million barrels of Iranian oil stranded aboard tankers. The Associated Press reported rice prices in Iran up roughly 60 percent, beef up 150 percent, inflation approaching 70 percent by year's end, and over one million formal-sector jobs lost during 40 days of intense fighting earlier this year.

Iran's response: threats to escalate. Mohsen Rezaei, the newly appointed secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council and former Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps commander, warned neighboring countries against cooperating. "We tell all the countries around us not to join the United States in its economic war, otherwise we will consider them enemies," he said on state television. He threatened to choke off oil exports through the Strait of Hormuz and "target other routes through which oil is exported," and warned of "earthquake-like" retaliation if Trump takes further action. The Guardian reported Rezaei claimed Iran has "not yet attacked any American economic interests," adding: "So far, we have only targeted military bases, but if they want to impose economic sanctions on us, the United States has oil and economic companies around Iran and elsewhere, and we will strike them."

This is the familiar cycle. Washington announces "historic" sanctions. The target threatens retaliation against U.S. interests and regional partners. American businesses — the ones actually barred from markets — foot the bill while the sanctions-enforcement and defense-consulting class profits. The conflict that began February 28 has already seen a June ceasefire collapse. Nearly six months in, there is no defined U.S. interest articulated, no cost accounting for the American taxpayer, and no exit.

The question isn't whether sanctions squeeze Iran. The data says they do. The question is who profits from a perpetual sanctions regime that never actually resolves anything — and whether anyone in Washington ever intends to settle the bill they keep running up in the American people's name.