President Trump just waived tariffs on 300,000 metric tons of foreign ground beef, and the White House won't say who lobbied for the deal or who promised to sell it below market rates — while American ranch families face record-low herd sizes and rising input costs that threaten their livelihoods.
This is supposed to be America First trade policy. Instead, it's a tariff holiday that floods the domestic market with cheap foreign product while the people who actually raise cattle in this country get squeezed from both ends — higher costs to raise a herd, and now subsidized competition from abroad.
In a Truth Social post Friday, Trump announced the U.S. will allow up to 300,000 metric tons of ground beef imports over the next 90 days with no out-of-quota tariff. He claimed unnamed parties "have a commitment that this beef will be sold at 25 percent below current market prices." The White House has not identified who made that commitment, which countries the beef comes from, or how a price-control pledge on imported meat would be enforced.
The tariff waiver matters. According to an American Farm Bureau Federation report from May, imports above quota get hit with a 26.4% tariff — the difference can exceed $1.80 per kilogram for beef valued around $7 per kilogram. That's a massive cost advantage handed to foreign producers overnight.
CNBC framed the announcement as a straightforward consumer relief measure, noting rising beef prices from drought and herd liquidation. CBS News likewise led with the consumer angle, citing Bureau of Labor Statistics data showing ground beef at $6.89 per pound as of July — up 57% from five years ago and rising 9% in the last year alone. The Independent went further, noting the price spike has happened on Trump's watch — from $5.45 per pound when he took office to $6.85 per pound now — and tied it to his tariff policies and the Strait of Hormuz disruption driving up energy and feed costs.
What none of the outlets pressed hard enough: who profits from this arrangement? Trump has previously moved to boost Argentine beef imports — an 80,000-metric-ton expansion in February — and Argentina is led by Javier Milei, a close political ally. The Independent noted the connection; the other two didn't mention it. Follow the money.
Meanwhile, the U.S. cattle herd fell to 28.5 million head in July, a record low for the month, according to the American Farm Bureau Federation. Drought, expensive feed, and herd liquidation are crushing producers. The Independent also reported that the Musk-led Department of Government Efficiency shuttered an Agriculture Department program that kept the North American Screwworm parasite in check, leading to a resurgence that effectively halted Mexican beef imports — making the tariff waiver for other foreign sources all the more convenient.
A USDA spokesperson said the tariff pause will "help address the affordability of beef." Cattle industry groups have opposed previous import increases, warning they undercut American producers. The National Cattlemen's Beef Association did not respond to requests for comment. Some experts told CBS News the additional imports are too small a share of overall supply to meaningfully reduce consumer prices — so ranchers take the hit, and shoppers may not even see the savings.
The White House has been asked repeatedly who negotiated this deal and who committed to the below-market pricing. They haven't answered. That's the question that matters: when the tariff wall comes down for foreign beef, who's getting the cut — and who's getting cut out?







