A British High Court just handed Prince Harry, Elton John, and five other wealthy celebrities a $13 million down payment on humility — and a lesson in what happens when the rich try to crush a newspaper instead of answering its reporting.
Justice Matthew Nicklin ordered the group to pay an initial £9.5 million ($13 million) to Daily Mail publisher Associated Newspapers Limited by August 28, after their invasion-of-privacy case collapsed last month. The total bill could climb to £34.5 million ($47 million), far exceeding the £16.2 million insurance policy the claimants hold. That means these millionaires may personally owe up to £18 million out of pocket.
The stakes for ordinary people are straightforward: when celebrities with unlimited resources can weaponize the courts to bankrupt publications they don't like, no one can report on the powerful. The judge saw it exactly that way.
Nicklin ruled the case was conducted "outside the ordinary and reasonable conduct of civil proceedings" and criticized the claimants to an extraordinary degree. He called their behavior "unreasonable to a high degree" and said it was "striking" that "not a single allegation of serious wrongdoing was voluntarily withdrawn" by the group. Serious allegations of criminality, he wrote, "cannot properly be left hanging over individuals in that way."
The claimants — Harry, Elton John, David Furnish, Liz Hurley, Sadie Frost, anti-racism campaigner Doreen Lawrence, and politician Simon Hughes — had alleged the Mail engaged in phone hacking, wiretapping, and deception to obtain private information for stories published between 1997 and 2015. Nicklin dismissed every claim in July, ruling the claimants failed to prove any information was obtained unlawfully. Simply because information was private and the publisher couldn't explain its sourcing didn't mean it was illegally sourced.
Associated Newspapers called the ruling "a devastating critique of an attempt to destroy a newspaper and the reputations of its journalists, editors and executives." CNN framed the publisher's statement as a welcome; BBC led with the exceptional size of the costs order. Breitbart emphasized the totality of Harry's defeat across his three tabloid lawsuits.
Notably, the judge ordered costs assessed on an "indemnity basis" — more favorable to the publisher — and declined to cap what ANL can recover, while acknowledging the £34.5 million claim appeared "excessive" on its face. The unusual ruling shifts the burden: ANL doesn't have to prove its costs are reasonable; the claimants must argue they aren't.
Harry and Lawrence issued a joint statement after the July verdict: "We came to court seeking justice and accountability. But we have received neither." Hughes said he was considering whether to appeal the costs judgment. They have until October 2 to try.
Harry's legal crusade against the British press has been a mixed bag. He won a 2023 judgment against the Daily Mirror for "widespread and habitual" phone hacking, and Rupert Murdoch's Sun apologized and paid substantial damages last year. But the Daily Mail case was different — the evidence wasn't there, and the judge said so.
The timing is awkward: Harry and Meghan Markle just announced they are moving back to the U.K. from California with their children. Flying in from Montecito to lecture British courts about press accountability, then flying home with a seven-figure bill, is not the look of people who understand consequences.
The question now is whether this verdict deters the next celebrity who wants to sue a newspaper into silence — or whether the wealthy simply write it off as the cost of doing business.






