1 comments

Welcome to Dissenter

The Comment Section of the Internet
www.theregister.co.uk
2020/01/22/developer_underlines_c_image_problem_by_running_it_on_windows_311/

David Whitney's tweet invokes the specters of feminism and intersectionalism with a sprinkle of meme culture to express his perspective on making .NET more attractive and relevant. Ignoring this part, his bullet-points of "solutions" are already addressed in various forums, already, leading me to believe the problem is not what he thinks.

".NET truly will never be cool, or exciting, if it's forever a bunch of 40yo greybeards on a stage giving boring lectures."

Right. Instead we should have multiple disparate events lacking structured agendas with Millennials and Zoomers bouncing around the stage spouting Adderal-induced babbling run-on sentences. Not what I consider "cool" and "exciting." There is a reason the "40yr old greybeards [...] giving boring lectures" has endured for literally millennia.

Not to be mistaken, I like the idea of a multi-track seminar series addressing the individually interesting applications complementing a central common-facet function.

To the source article: "The issue is real, though, and the company has a challenge in marketing C# .NET to a younger and more diverse range of developers."

What really needs to be tackled here is to determine the actual change in the environment from early 2000s when I sat in a college auditorium with a particularly diverse audience of both male and female students consisting of people of white, black, Asian, Indian, and other races and ethnicities.

The challenge for Microsoft is not the problem of diversity but that C# .NET is 20 years-old, well beyond the honeymoon period of when I was introduced to it. Back when we were given, for free, a full development kit on CDs and two days of basic training, under massive fan-fare and exaltation. Sure, a lot of similar stuff is on-line for free, but in-person events with free stuff are a draw. The interactive real world is far more attractive than the virtual on-line world into which we keep being pushed, and telling us otherwise changes nothing.

As for "[i]t is also true that the "40-year-old male" image is a problem for many technology events, not just .NET." Do we really have to re-hash what James Damore so beautifully and innocently pointed out, and has been proven by "feminist" ecosystems? That, given a choice, women tend toward the non-technical.

Feminist and intersectional approaches to technology and individual technological products will not work because neither ideologies provide realistic strategies in the first place. This is not a "male" issue, this is a marketing issue Microsoft needs to resolve.

Dissenter
connecting...