Florida and California responded to the COVID-19 pandemic in vastly different ways, but comparing outcomes isn't so simple. Here's what the numbers tell us.
5 comments

Welcome to Dissenter

The Comment Section of the Internet
www.latimes.com
california/story/2021-03-09/florida-vs-california-who-had-better-covid-response

So many pop-ups I could barely read the article In fact I couldn't read it all because the text became blocked. But I did read something about California's climate excuses their bad results. BULL! I am far from expert on viruses, but even I, lay person, know that one of the biggest spreaders of this virus is being indoors. Air conditioning and heating units. Florida gets HOT . Florida has lots of old people. California weather is so much better this is an awful excuse so I believe nothing in this fake news article.

I couldn't care less what the numbers say. Numbers can be manipulated. All I care about is which state did less to infringe on the rights of the people living there. Florida wins hands down.

"The shrinking difference in the death rates is likely the product of California’s higher levels of poverty, density, overcrowding and climate that make it particularly susceptible to coronavirus spread, experts say."

WHY does California have such high levels of poverty, density, and over-crowding?

“The comparison of California and Florida is not fair,” said Ali Mokdad, an epidemiologist at the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington. “California is a much harder situation than what Florida has to deal with.”

Based upon 2019 numbers, FL's elderly population is ~21%, versus CA's ~15%. Elderly density is roughly the same for both states. Given the similarity in this regard, it is fair to compare the two and people like Mr. Mokdad would if CA numbers were better than FL.

"About 55% of California residents live in counties with a high “social vulnerability” score - a measure of how severely a disease outbreak might affect a region - while only a quarter of Floridians do. California’s rate of overcrowding in homes, a metric linked to coronavirus spread, is also more than double Florida’s."

Given population growth over ten years for both states (~2.3m for CA and ~2.8m for FL) and the percentage of elderly vulnerable: why? Perhaps the habitually heavy-handed CA versus "laissez-faire" Florida.

"[...]If California had Florida’s death rate, roughly 6,000 more Californians would be dead from COVID-19 and tens of thousands of additional patients likely would have landed in already overburdened hospitals. And if Florida had California’s death rate, roughly 3,000 fewer Floridians would be dead from COVID-19."

This is statistical juggling. As of March 8, 2021, the per-100,000 death rates are 148 for FL and 137 for CA. Comparison is perfectly fair, all things considered including human tendencies against "new norms," wide-spread mask misuse, and even climate differences.

The bottom line: CA put in place draconian lock-downs and mandates upon its entire population, while FL only did for highly vulnerable areas and for relatively brief periods. DeSantis also nullified counties' mandates by defanging enforcement via fines (although, that only affects the general population; business, though rarely, can still face punitive measures.) The two states are statistically similar, with the glaring difference being the amount of individual liberty and economic stability. This article and those quoted within are excusing government force over personal risk assessment and responsibility.

Florida, with DeSantis as governor, wins.

Dissenter
connecting...