Attitudes to HIV have barely changed since the 1980s. Four activists debunk misconceptions and tell us why they’re HIV positive and proud.
12 comments

Welcome to Dissenter

The Comment Section of the Internet
www.bbc.co.uk
news/av/stories-49022323/hiv-positive-and-proud-what-s-with-the-stigma

I mistrust anyone proud to have a deadly infectious disease and for being a burden on the rest of society.

Why the stigma??? Who the fuck in their right mind wants AIDS?

AIDs and proud!!! roflmao at least the bbc didn't use a standard stock photo of whyt peepo

"Four"

LEL, come back when you have a thousand...oh wait, they're all dead or incarcerated

Why the fuck would you be proud?

Getting an STD because you've been sleeping around is nothing to be proud of. To all (actual) Europeans, make sure you and your partner get checked before producing offspring to continue our people without getting STDs.

Yeah what's the stigma? It's only a sexually transmitted plague with no cure. We should embrace it and ebola too....what are you some white supremacist?

Yay! Herpes rocks too!

"Proud" - No. "Reconciled" - Yes.

I know you (and others) were born with HIV, so you have NOTHING to be ashamed of.
Your experiences at school were obviously terrible - you need to name that school, you need to point to Facebook profiles - you need to demand apologies - how could the school ALLOW you to eat in toilets. This has damaged you and I understand and have sympathy, but you need to deal with those memories or it will eat you - there's no pill fir THAT.

Why the stigma around HIV and AIDS? There is stigma around all STDs / STIs / VDs. It has lizard-brain association with Death. It is infectious. Without medicine, you will die - without medicine, your future husband (I assume) may die. STDs are also associated with bad moral choices, ie promiscuity. And I said "associated", I did not say "you are a slut and deserve this".

Lolz. Wut?

Dissenter
connecting...