14 comments

Welcome to Dissenter

The Comment Section of the Internet
buchanan.org
blog/will-war-derail-trumps-reelection-137952

In former times, a confrontation or shooting war often benefitted the incumbent, as there was almost always a rallying to the flag. Those days are gone. This generation has had its fill of wars.

Even with my complaints on Trump (too much Israel bootlicking, weak on 2nd) he has kept us out of war better than any modern President. It hasn't been easy either when they are pushing for it every direction.

Let's keep listening to those who have been wrong at every turn! [sarcasm off]

Trump Is the sanctions man, he’s not about war.

Let's pray to bring our people home.

No, although pulling more soldiers out and taking him home will make any Democrat lucky to tie Mondale.

Mr. Buchanan, Rather puny to compare President Trump's successful defense of the second Iranian embassy takeover attempt with their first, trying to make a false point that, because Jimmy Carter's failed strategy to recover the US Iranian embassy hostages in 1979 resulted in his loss of the presidency in 1980, Donald Trump's successful defense of the Iranian-backed embassy takeover attempt will imperil his re-election.

It WON'T. Nothing succeeds like success, and the American voter will reward a president with courage with re-election.

Edit History

2020-37-We 01:37:45 pm

Mr. Buchanan, Rather puny to compare President Trump's successful defense of the second Iranian embassy takeover attempt with their first, trying to make a false point that, because Jimmy Carter's failed strategy to recover the US Iranian embassy hostages in 1979 resulted in his loss of the presidency in 1980, Donald Trump's successful defense of the Iranian-backed embassy takeover attempt will imperil his re-election.

It WON'T. Nithing succeeds like success, and the American voter will reward a president with courage with re-election.

"This generation has had its fill of wars." I'm not so sure. Much depends upon the provocation. A traumatic assault like 9/11 would galvanize the People even now. The problem, as I see it, is not so much that a generation has "had its fill" of war; rather, it has grown tired of hearing about it. Regardless of one's beliefs about the wisdom of our military ventures following 9/11, one of the Bush Administration's (and the DoD's) greatest blunders was the misguided assumption that the American people needed to be shielded from the direct effects of war. Except for those relatively few families who sons, mothers and siblings deployed into combat, our battles in the Middle East have been abstract endeavors, games in which they had no "skin." They have grown weary of the political blathering. When the American People have a personal stake in a conflict (e.g., WWII), the rally is persistent.

absolutely delusional. war DOES STILL rally Americans. it will even GET HIM DEMOCRAT SUPPORT. once the media loses their incentive to slander him every day forever (and war is mass media catnip of course, along with a gravy train), he will start winning moderates in droves.

either mass media has an effect or it does not.

it does, of course, so simply winning THEM over would probably give him an even bigger win.

and there are many, many current Trump supporters who are always eager to be led into another unwinnable war.

principled opposition would be steamrolled, Rand Paul would of course never speak to Trump again, but it wouldn't matter, and Trump would take it as a good choice that he started a war because it raised his numbers.

Trump is NOT a MORAL actor.

Trump is a FUNCTIONAL actor. What works, is good. What does not, is bad. Period.

That's why he loves the fucking Jews so much. What "they" do is gross, shitty, subversive, and often evil, but it WORKS.

Edit History

2020-44-We 08:44:28 pm

absolutely delusional. war DOES STILL rally Americans. it will even GET HIM DEMOCRAT SUPPORT. once the media loses their incentive to slander him every day forever, he will start winning moderates in droves.

either mass media has an effect or it does not.

it does, of course, so simply winning THEM over would probably give him an even bigger win.

and there are many, many current Trump supporters who are always eager to be led into another unwinnable war.

principled opposition would be steamrolled, Rand Paul would of course never speak to Trump again, but it wouldn't matter, and Trump would take it as a good choice that he started a war because it raised his numbers.

Trump is NOT a MORAL actor.

Trump is a FUNCTIONAL actor. What works, is good. What does not, is bad. Period.

That's why he loves the fucking Jews so much. What "they" do is gross, shitty, subversive, and often evil, but it WORKS.

I kind of hate to say this, but I suspect if we bomb the crap out of Iran and tell them there is more of that to come if they don't back off, and if we keep the sanctions on nice and tight, we will keep our boys from marching into that hell hole and still keep the iranians off balance. I am talking serious bombing here. Take out their infrastructure...I am sure the Iranian people are, by and large, ok folks, but let them go without electricity, potable water for awhile, they may over-throw the Taliban all by themselves. On another note, there will never be peace in the middle east. These tribal factions have been feuding for a thousand years and aren't going to stop. I am all in favor of leaving them alone if they would just leave us alone. But they keep poking the tiger. I don't get it, but I do get about 1000 bombs hitting their main facilities.

Dissenter
connecting...